Pilaf is a national dish from Turkey, cooked in an oven. It is important that the rice is not stirred while cooking.
For four people
8 oz / 200 g long grain rice
1 oz / 25 g each cashew nuts, pine kernels - or any variation
1 oz / 25 g each sultanas, raisins, hazelnuts, walnuts,
4 oz / 100 g dried figs, chopped
4 oz / 100 g mushrooms
1 small - medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
Herbs - rosemary, thyme, oregano
salt to taste
4 - 6 oz / 125 - 175 ml boiling water
- The pilaf may be baked in the oven or in a microwave oven.
- Mix all the ingredients together in an oven-proof dish and bring back to the boil.
- Place in a low oven (gas mark 2, 300F, 150C) where it will simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large microwave-proof bowl.
- Cover with clingfilm and pierce several times.
- Then cook at Full Power for 20 minutes.
- The rice should absorb all the water when fully cooked, and the pilaf can be served straight from the bowl.