A traditional rich sauce to serve with vegetables, fish or eggs. These sauces should be used freshly made and not be kept.
Note that the egg yolks are not cooked.
6 oz / 175 g butter
1½fl oz / 45 ml water
3 egg yolks
juice half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a heavy pan and allow to cool until just warm but still liquid.
- Warm the water until tepid and then blend the egg yolks, water, salt, and pepper in a blender for about ten seconds.
- Add the hot butter gradually, blending continuously.
- The sauce should thicken.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve.
- Caper sauce: for boiled fish. Add 2 teaspoons of capers.
- Mousseline sauce: for fish or boiled vegetables. Add 4 fl oz / 100ml of whipped cream before serving.