Naan bread : Food Combining Hay Diet
Ingredients: Naan bread : Food Combining Hay Diet
Naan bread should be eaten fresh and hot. Traditionally it is cooked in a tandoor oven, but a heavy frying pan produces excellent results.
Makes 10 -12
1 oz / 25 g fresh yeast or 1 tablespoon dried yeast +1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 pint / 280 ml warm water
1 lb / 450g wholemeal flour
4 fl oz / 100 ml olive oil
salt to taste
Instructions: Naan bread : Food Combining Hay Diet
- Crumble the fresh yeast into the liquid or mix in the dried yeast and sugar. Keep warm until the yeast is working well.
- Rub the oil into the flour.
- Slowly, mix the flour into the liquid until a uniform dough is formed.
- Knead for 5 minutes into a stiff dough.
- Leave in a warm place for one hour when it should double in bulk.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal sized balls.
- Roll out each ball on a lightly floured board until 5 inches / 12 cm diameter. Or slap from hand to hand in the traditional way (not easy!).
- Preheat a heavy based frying pan. Do not add any oil.
- Cook each naan for 30 - 40 seconds each side - until brown and puffy in places.
- Serve hot.
- Mix crushed garlic and chopped fresh coriander into the dough.
- Roll poppy seed or roasted sesame seed into the naan before cooking.