Veloute sauces are rich and creamy and can be served with any starch based meal, but in moderation only.
To make 1/2 pint / 280 ml of sauce
3/4 pint / 425 ml vegetable stock (boiling)
1 oz / 25 g butter
1 oz / 25 g flour
salt to taste
white pepper to taste
optional 2 fl oz / 60 ml cream
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Beat the flour into the melted butter and cook over a low heat for 2 minutes. The butter should not be darker than a straw colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool slightly before stirring in the boiling stock, a little at a time.
- Bring the sauce back to the boil and continue to stir as the sauce thickens.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes ( and for up to an hour if possible).
- Add the cream and bring back to a simmer immediately before serving.
- Mushroom sauce: add 2 oz / 60 g of chopped mushrooms at the simmering stage. Add a teaspoon of chopped parsley at the same stage if liked.
- Tomato sauce: add 3 tablespoons of tomato puree and 1 tablespoon of chopped basil leaves at the simmering stage.
- Garlic and herb sauce: add 4 cloves of crushed garlic and a selection of chopped fresh herbs ten minutes before serving.