1 lb / 450 g turkey mince
1 onion, chopped
4 oz / 100 g mushrooms
1 aubergine, sliced
4 oz / 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1/4 pint turkey stock, vegetable stock or water
1 egg, beaten
1/4 pint milk
1 teaspoon dry mustard or wholegrain mustard
Herbs - basil, thyme, sage
Olive oil to fry the aubergine
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the aubergine slices in a colander, sprinkle with saltand leave for 30 minutes. Rinse in cold water and drain.
- Heat the olive oil gently in a large frying pan. Fry the aubergineslices until golden on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the onion until translucent.
- Add the garlic, herbs and turkey mince and fry until the meatis sealed on all sides.
- Add sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste.
- Layer the meat mixture with the aubergines in a casserole dish,finishing with mushrooms aubergines.
- Pour the stock over the mixture in the casserole.
For the Cheese Sauce: Beat the egg and milk together.
- Simmer gently over a low heat until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add 3 oz / 75 g of grated cheese, the mustard and salt and pepperto taste.
- Simmer gently for a few more minutes, then pour over the moussaka.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 400°F, 200°C, Gas Mark 6 untilthe top is golden.
Add tomato paste or pureed tomatoes to the meat mixture.
For a traditional moussaka, used minced lamb instead ofturkey, but remember it is more fatty.