Curry and hot spice mixtures
Ingredients: Curry and hot spice mixtures
Hot spice mixtures can be added to stews, used as a marinade before grilling, or added to vegetable dishes
Blending your own curry powder allows you to select the strength and balance of flavours that suit you. The best flavour comes from dry roasting the whole spices, before grinding when cool. Using ready ground spices makes the whole process much quicker.
3 dried red chillies with the seeds removed and discarded
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Instructions: Curry and hot spice mixtures
• Place the whole spices in a heavy bottom pan and dry roast over a moderate heat. Keep the spices moving all the time until they darken.
• Allow the spices to cool and then grind into a powder.
• Blend the freshly ground spices with the pre-ground spices.
• The curry powder is now ready to use.
• You can vary the proportions of all the ingredients to suit your own tastes.
• Other ingredients you can add are one or more of the following selection:
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon nigella seeds
2 stalks lemon grass
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground asafoetida
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (often added to arabic spice blends)