Casserole of hearts Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
Ingredients: Casserole of hearts Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
For each person:
1 lamb's heart
1 small - medium onion
4 oz / 100 g swede and/or turnip
Other vegetables as liked and available - parsnips, mushrooms etc.
1 clove garlic, crushed
Herbs - sage, parsley, thyme
Instructions: Casserole of hearts Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
- Soak the hearts in cold water for at least 2 hours, then cut off the fat and arteries and clean them under a running tap to make sure there are no blood clots left inside.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 / 350°F / 180°C.
- The hearts may then be cooked whole or cut into pieces.
- Saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent.
- Then add the remaining vegetables and the meat.
- Saute for a few more minutes, then transfer to a casserole and just cover with water.
- Add the herbs.
- Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 1½- 2 hours.