To serve four to six
3lb / 1.2 kg roasting chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 chopped onion
8 oz or 225g brown rice
1 red pepper
4 oz or 100g mushrooms
1 tablespoon tomato pureé
1 pint / 550 ml chicken stock
1 bay leaf
2 oz or 50g frozen peas
1 small can sweetcorn
salt and pepper to taste
parsley to garnish
- Brush the oil over the chicken and place in a roasting tin on the middle shelf of a hot oven at gas mark 7 425°F 220°C for 20 minutes or until brown.
- Remove the chicken and fry the onions in the oil until soft.
- Place the rice in a large roasting pot with a lid. Pour the oil, juices and the onion onto the rice and stir to mix well.
- Then add the chopped red pepper, mushrooms, tomato pureé, gluten-free chicken stock, seasoning and the bay leaf.
- Place the browned chicken in the roasting pot with these ingredients and cover.
- Cook in a preheated oven, gas mark 5 375°F 190°C for one hour and fifteen minutes.
- Then add the peas and sweetcorn. Stir these into the rice.
- Return to the oven and cook for 15 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.