Chili Con Carne Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
Ingredients: Chili Con Carne Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
To serve four
4 oz / 100g red kidney beans
1 onion, coarsley chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tablespoon 40 ml olive oil
1 lb / 450g lean ground beef
8 oz / 225g tin tomato
2 oz / 50g green pepper
½ pint / 300 ml water
1 tsp / 5g chilli powder
1 tsp / 5g cumin powder
1 tsp / 5g chopped oregano
2 bay leaves
1 tsp / 5g chopped parsley
salt to taste
Instructions: Chili Con Carne Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
- Soak the kidney beans over night in two pints of water. Discard the water, then boil vigorously for at least 30 minutes in fresh water. Discard the water and then continue to BOIL in 1 pint of fresh water for an hour until tender. (Or use tinned kidney beans).
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil until soft.
- Add the mince and fry until brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the beans and simmer gently in ½ pint of water for half an hour to one hour.
- Then drain the cooked beans and add to the meat and simmer for a further half hour before serving.
- Serve with brown rice and a side salad.