Kasha Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
This strongly flavoured breakfast dish originates in Eastern Europe.
Ingredients: Kasha Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
2 oz / 50g buckwheat grain or flake
1/2 oz / 12 g butter
1/4 pint / 150 ml water
salt to taste
Instructions: Kasha Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
- Use a heavy bottomed pan.
- Roast the grain dry in the pan to develop the flavour.
- Soak the grain in the water overnight.
- Add the butter and salt and simmer over the lowest possible heat for 3 hours, add more water if required. - traditionally, simmer beside the ashes of the fire overnight.
- Serve with a little low-fat yogurt.