Risotto involves cooking the rice and the vegetables and flavourings together in a pan over the heat until cooked. Traditionally short grained rice is used for this dish.
For four people
8 oz / 200 g brown short grain rice
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 oz / 25 g cashew nuts or peanuts
1 oz / 25 g flaked almonds
1 oz / 25 g chopped hazel nuts
1 oz / 25 g chopped brazil nuts or sesame seed
salt to taste
1 pint / 550 ml boiling vegetable stock
- Heat the vegetable stock in a separate pan and keep simmering.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, fry the onion in the olive oil until soft, then add the rice and fry gently for a minute, stirring well.
- Slowly add one third of the stock to the rice and simmer for five minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the next third of the stock and continue to stir, still simmering for 10 to 12 minutes until it is also absorbed.
- Add the chopped nuts and the remaining third of the stock and continue to simmer for 30 minutes while the rice thickens. Add more liquid if required.
- Remove from the heat and serve.