Plain wine sauce Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
Ingredients: Plain wine sauce Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
To make 1/2 pint / 280 ml of sauce
3/4 pint / 425 ml vegetable stock
1 oz / 25 g wholemeal flour
2 tablespoons red wine
salt to taste
white pepper to taste
Instructions: Plain wine sauce Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
- Boil the stock in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Mix the flour to a thin paste with cold red wine.
- Use a whisk to ensure the flour paste mixes well with the vegetable stock. The stock should thicken almost immediately.
- Whisk in any extra ingredients - see variations below.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 12 minutes
- Mushroom sauce: add 2 oz / 60 g of chopped mushrooms.
- Tomato sauce: add 3 tablespoons of tomato puree and 1 tablespoon of chopped basil leaves at the simmering stage.
- Garlic and herb sauce: add 4 cloves of crushed garlic and a selection of chopped fresh herbs.
- Orange sauce: add the zest of one orange and the juice of one lemon.