Quiche lorraine Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
Flans and Quiches are easily prepared without pastry. Originally, the pastry was not intended to be eaten, serving merely as a clean and waterproof container for the ingredients while they cooked. Pastry is high in fat and best avoided. Alternatively cook the quiche on a wholemeal pizza base.
Ingredients: Quiche lorraine Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
6 sliced lean bacon rashers (all visible fat removed)
2 chopped onions
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 oz / 75 g grated low-fat cheese
2 large eggs
1/4 pint / 150 ml low-fat milk
3 tomatoes, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
Instructions: Quiche lorraine Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
- Use an ovenware flan dish. Sprinkle half the cheese on the bottom of the flan dish.
- Fry bacon and onion together until just cooked and spread over the cheese.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and seasoning, pour over the mixture and then sprinkle the rest of the cheese over. Lay the sliced tomatoes on top.
- Bake at Gas Mark 5, 375F, 200C, for 30 minutes until set.
- For a wide range of different fillings replace the cheese, onion and bacon:
- Mushroom quiche: 6 oz / 150 g mushrooms, sliced - no need to fry first
- Herb quiche: 2 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs, chopped - marjoram, basil, thyme etc
- Prawn and onion: 6 spring onions, trimmed and chopped, 6 oz / 150 g peeled prawns
- Ham and sweetcorn: 6 slices lean ham, and 8 oz / 200 g sweetcorn, cooked
- Salmon: 8 oz can salmon or flaked fresh cooked salmon
- Tuna and cheese: 8 oz can tuna and 2 oz low-fat cheese - sprinkle over the top after adding the egg mixture
- Spanish quiche: Cooked peas, sweetcorn, sliced red and green peppers, tomatoes.