Cooking times for tender joints:
- Beef on the bone- 15 minutes per lb / 450g and 15 minutes extra.
- Beef without a bone and for lamb or mutton - 20 minutes per lb / 450g and 20 minutes extra.
- Pork or veal- 25 minutes per lb / 450g and 25 minutes extra.
- Place the meat on a wire rack in a roasting tin on the middle shelf of a hot oven at gas mark 7, 425°F, 220°C.
- After 20 minutes turn the heat down to moderately hot, gas mark 5, 375°F, 190°C.
- Stand the joint in a warm place for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Less tender meat should be roasted at a lower temperature, gas mark 4, 350°F, 180°C.
- Allow a total cooking time of 35 minutes per lb / 450g and 35 minutes extra.
- Ideal for less tender meat. Placed the meat in a saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Fry it, turning until it is browned all over.
- Add 1/4 pint / 150ml beef stock.
- Then put the lid in place and reduced the heat to simmer until cooked.
- Allow a total cooking time of 45 minutes per lb / 450g.