Makes 12 - 16 pancakes
4 oz / 100 g plain flour
4 oz wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 oz / 25g lard or butter
1/2 pint 280 ml water
salt to taste
- Mix the flour, salt, raising agent and butter.
- Mix the egg into the flour mixture and add enough water to form a thick pouring batter.
- Let the mixture stand for half an hour.
- Preheat a heavy based frying pan, to a moderate heat only.
- Drop the batter into the pan in spoonfuls, and cook until golden brown each side. Turn as soon as the bubbles in the middle start to break.
- Serve hot with butter.