Rice dishes - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
Always take the time to rinse the grains of rice well in cold water and to check the rice for grit.
- Allow 2 oz / 50 g of brown rice per person for a main meal.
- Add twice the volume of water as the volume of rice.
- Bring the water to a good rolling boil for three minutes.
- Cover the pan tightly and reduce the heat to the lowest possible simmer for 40 minutes to one hour. Most of the water will be absorbed by the rice and it should not be stirred while cooking.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for five minutes before serving.
Parboiled brown rice needs to be simmered for 25 -30 minutes.
The best way to reheat cooked rice is by steaming for 15 minutes.
- Cover the uncooked rice with cold water.
- Change the water morning and night until the rice has soaked for three full 24 hour days.
- Drain the rice and heat it in a heavy bottomed frying pan, stir constantly until all the rice has turned brown and popped.
- Popped rice can be stored for several weeks in an airtight container.
- Popped rice makes a crunchy addition to muesli or for a snack.
- For each 2 oz / 50 g portion, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a deep frying pan until the oil is smoking. Then stir in the rice.
- Fry over a moderate heat for 5 minutes. White rice will turn translucent white again, but this change is not so easy to see with brown rice.
- Add 1/3 pint / 200 ml water or vegetable stock for each 2 oz / 50 g portion and simmer over the lowest heat until tender.
- The frying oil can be flavoured with cumin seeds, cassia, cloves and black pepper corns. These should be fried for thirty seconds before the rice is added.
Ingredients: Rice dishes - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
Instructions: Rice dishes - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book