Rye bread - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
Rye flour, unmixed with wheat flour makes a very heavy loaf. You can vary the proportions of the two to suit your own tastes, but two-thirds rye flour to one-third wheat flour makes an excellent loaf.
Ingredients: Rye bread - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
Makes two 1 lb loaves
1 oz / 25 g fresh yeast or 1 tablespoon dried yeast +1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 pint / 150 ml warm milk
1/4 pint / 150 ml warm water
1 lb / 400g rye flour
8 oz / 200g strong plain white flour
8 oz / 200g fine oatmeal
4 fl oz / 100 ml olive oil or 1 oz / 25 g hard vegetable fat
1 oz / 25 g molasses
salt to taste
Instructions: Rye bread - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
- Mix the water and milk together, crumble the fresh yeast into the liquid or mix in the dried yeast and sugar. Keep warm until the yeast is working well.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together. Then mix in the molasses and oil, or rub in the hard vegetable fat.
- Slowly, mix the flour into the liquid until a uniform dough is formed.
- Knead for 10 to 15 minutes into a stiff dough.
- Cover with an oiled polythene sheet and leave in a warm place for one hour when it should double in bulk.
- Knead again for a minute and then place in two greased trays.
- Cover the dough with an oiled polythene sheet and keep warm until the dough has risen again.
- Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 7, 425F, 220C for 45 minutes or until done ( check with a skewer ).
- Turn out of the trays and cool on a wire rack.