Tea bread - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
Ingredients: Tea bread - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
Makes 8 tea cakes
8 oz / 200 g wholemeal flour
1 oz / 25 g butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
6 fluid oz / 180 ml skim milk
1 oz / 25 g fresh yeast /1 tablespoon dried yeast
1 teaspoon caster sugar
3 oz / 75 g sultanas
1 oz / 25 g peel
Instructions: Tea bread - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
- Add the yeast and sugar to the slightly warmed milk and stand until it starts working.
- Rub the fat into the flour until it is like fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the spices and dried fruit and peel.
- Add the working liquid to the flour mix and mix together, then knead into a soft dough.
- Leave to prove in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Knead the dough lightly.
- Form the dough into 8 small balls and place on a greased tray.
- Cover with an oiled polythene sheet and leave to prove again in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 6, 400F, 200C, for 20 minutes until golden brown.