2 oz/ 50 g unsweetened tinned chestnut pureé
2 fl oz / 60 ml milk
2 oz / 50 g grated apple
1 oz / 25 g rice flour
4 oz / 100 g breadcrumbs
4 oz / 100 g suet grated
4 oz / 100 g molasses
4 oz / 100 g currants
4 oz / 100 g sultanas
4 oz / 100 g raisins
1 oz / 25 g glacé cherries
1 tablespoon treacle
1 oz / 25 g ground almonds
1 lemon grated and squeezed
1/2 wineglass brandy
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Beat the chestnut and apple to a smooth pureé with the milk and egg. This is best done in a liquidiser.
- Transfer the pureé to a large mixing bowl, gradually mix in all the remaining ingredients, stirring well.
- Place the mixture in well greased pudding basins. They should not be overful.
- Cover with grease proof paper and then aluminium foil tied tightly round the top of the bowl.
- A one pint basin should be steamed for 4 hours, a two pint basin for 6 hours.
- If a pressure cooker is available steam for 30 minutes without pressure and then for 3 hours under 15lbs pressure.
- Always check water levels when steaming for several hours.
- For the best flavour, steam for two to three hours to reheat before serving.