2 lb<\160>/1 kg beef marrowbones
2 pints /1 litre water
1 onion, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 bay leaf
4 black peppercorns, whole
salt to taste
- Place the bones and water in a pressure cooker and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Then cool and remove any scum that forms on the surface.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook under 15 lbs pressure for 45 minutes before allowing to cool.
- Without a pressure cooker simmer, the bones gently for 4 hours.
- Cool, strain the stock and leave to go cold. Then remove the solid fat from the surface.
- Freeze the stock in small quantities for later use in soups, stews and sauces.
- Chicken Stock: Follow the same recipe using the chicken carcass or 8 oz / 200g of chicken giblets.
- Fish Stock : Follow the same recipe using 1 lb / 450g of fish trimmings