To serve 4
2 medium onion
4 medium carrots
1 small swede
1 lb / 450 g mince
1/4 pint / 125 ml beef stock or optional 14 oz / 400 g tinned tomato
2 crushed cloves garlic
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Cook and mash the swede and carrot together.
- Chop the onion and fry in a little olive oil until translucent.
- Add the mince to the frying pan and cook for eight minutes over a moderate heat. Stir while cooking.
- Add the tinned tomato and crushed garlic to the mince and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer the mince and tomato to a casserole.
- Place the mashed swede and carrot as a layer above the mince.
- Add sliced tomato to decorate the top before baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven, gas mark 6, 400°F, 200°C