Makes 12 to 20 small crispbreads
4 oz / 100 g millet grain
4 oz / 100 g sesame seed
1 oz / 25 g melted lard
salt to taste
1/8 pint / 75 ml boiling water
- Mix the whole seed and grain together and then grind them into a flour with a grain mill or a coffee mill. A pestle and mortar works the best but it is hard work!
- Mix in the melted lard.
- Add boiling water until the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Spread over a greased tray and press down very firmly to a thickness of 1/8 inch / 3 mm. Score into squares.
- Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 6, 400F, 200C, for 8-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn out onto a wire tray to cool and dry.
- Keep crispbreads in an airtight container.
- Use cornmeal or ground rice in place of the millet seed.