Another good meal for using up leftovers. Any of the ingredients can be varied so long as no starch is used.
Leftover chicken pieces
Vegetables - swede, carrot, parsnip
Green vegetable - cabbage, broccoli
4 oz mushrooms - uncooked
Chicken stock or gravy
A little cream
Butter or olive oil
- Saute the onions in a little butter or olive oil.
- Put the chicken pieces at the bottom of a casserole dish. Add the mushrooms, onion and green vegetable.
- Mix the cream and stock or gravy together to a thick consistency, and pour over the vegetables so that they are just covered.
- Mash or puree the root vegetables and spread over the top and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes , gas mark 6, 400°F, 200°C, until hot through and golden on top.