For each person
2 oz / 50 g rice
1 medium onion
4 oz / 100 g mushrooms
herbs as available (thyme, sage, rosemary etc)
green vegetable as available (chopped courgettes, broccoli, shredded cabbage, bean sprouts, banana plantain, carrot, swede)
- Start by cooking the rice, either in a saucepan or microwave oven.
- While this is cooking, cover the bottom of a frying pan thinly with olive oil and heat.
- Chop the onion and drop into the oil, frying gently till beginning to turn transparent.
- Chop the mushroom and add to the onion.
- Fry together until the onion is golden brown and the mushroom softened.
- Now cover with just enough boiling water to prevent the onion and mushroom from burning and simmer.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, add the herbs and green vegetable and cover with a lid to simmer until the rice and vegetables are ready.
- Serve the sauce on a bed of rice.
- Add pine kernels or chopped nuts with the green vegetable.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Add garlic towards the end of the cooking period.
- Use a little soya sauce for added flavour.