2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 head broccoli, broken into florets
1 lb young broad beans
8 stems asparagus (optional)
4 rashers bacon
4 oz / 100 g cooked ham, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon basil
1/2 tablespoon fresh marjoram or oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Toasted pine nuts
- Heat the oil and cook the onion, garlic, celery and bacon, together with the herbs and seasoning, gently for 10 minutes, then keep warm until needed as the sauce.
- Cook the broccoli and beans in boiling water until tender.
- Cook the asparagus briefly in boiling water.
- Lay the vegetables in a shallow dish.
- Make a lattice with the strips of ham on top, then pour the sauce over.
- Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and serve.