For four people
8 oz / 200 g chick peas
1 pint / 550 ml water
5 cloves garlic
1 small onion, finely chopped
6 oz / 150 g sesame seed
salt to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Wash the chickpeas and then soak overnight in a pint of water, drain and then wash again.
- Boil the chickpeas vigorously for ten minutes in fresh water and then simmer for two hours until tender ( or boil in a pressure cooker at high pressure for thirty minutes).
- Drain the peas and discard the water.
- Blend the garlic, onion, olive oil and sesame seeds with half the lemon juice to a puree with a blender.
- Add the cooked chick peas a few at a time to the puree in the blender, adding the remaining lemon juice as required. Reduce to a smooth puree after each addition.
- Serve the hummus hot or cold with a range of vegetables or crudites.