one medium sized mackerel
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon gooseberries
1 teaspoon chopped fresh fennel
1 tablespoon flaked almonds
- Clean and wash the mackerel.
- Fillet by opening up the fish, laying it open side down on a slab and running your thumb down the backbone. This will remove most of the bones.
- Spread the cavity of the mackerel with whole grain mustard.
- Then place as many gooseberries as will fit in the cavity.
- Take a piece of foil large enough to enclose the fish.
- Place the fish in the middle, sprinkle with the flaked almonds and fennel and then fold the foil to seal above the fish.
- Bake in a preheated oven gas mark 5, 375°F, 190°C for 15 - 20 minutes until cooked which depends on thickness.
- The fish is cooked when the thickest flesh is translucent.
- Add several whole peeled cloves of garlic inside each fish. These will bake to a soft mash and can be spread during eating.
- This recipe works well in a pressure cooker: cook under high pressure for 4 minutes.