Serve mincemeat with either a protein or a starch meal
2 oz / 50g sultanas
2 oz / 50g raisins
2 oz / 50g currants
2 oz / 50g apples with cores removed
2 oz / 50g suet
2 oz / 50g molasses
¼ teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1 fl oz / 30 ml brandy
- Cook the lemon, peel and all, in a little water until soft, then chop finely in a food processor.
- Put all the remaining fruit and suet in small quantities through a food processor to chop quite finely.
- Mix all the processed fruit together with the lemon, suet and spices and molasses.
- Mix in the brandy, cover the bowl and leave to stand for 24 hours. Mix again before pressing into jars.
- Keep at least two weeks before using.
- with baked apples.
- with yogurt.
- as a spread on bread or any of the cakes in this book.
- as a hot sauce on Christmas pudding.