1 lb / 450g minced belly pork
2 teaspoons fresh mixed herbs: sage, rosemary and thyme,
or 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
- Blend the ingredients together by beating the minced pork into the herbs and spices with a food processor or use the back of a spoon until it sticks into a ball.
- Place this mixture in the barrel of the sausage maker.
- Fit a four centimetre length of compacted wide casing over the nozzle of the sausage maker and tie a knot in the open end.
- Extrude the mixture as a paste into the skins, refilling the sausage maker as required. Do not over-fill the skins or they will burst on cooking.
- Tie knots in the open end of the skins and then twist the sausage at intervals to produce individual sausages. These are best not cut apart until after they have been cooked.
- Sausages should be cooked slowly and not be pricked.
- They can be baked for 30 to 40 minutes in a preheated oven gas mark 4, 350°F, 180°C.
- They can be grilled under a medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes. Turn them at intervals to allow even cooking.
- Sausages can be fried over a low heat for 20 to 25 minutes. Turn them at intervals to allow even cooking.