Traditional Italian sauces for serving with protein or vegetable dishes.
2 oz / 50 g basil leaves, fresh
6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 oz / 50 g pine nuts
4 oz / 100 g grated Parmesan cheese
8 fl oz / 230 ml olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Puree the herbs, garlic, pine nuts and cheese with half the olive oil and any seasoning until it forms a paste.
- Beat in the remaining olive oil more slowly.
- Toss the vegetables in the sauce and serve.
- Replace the pine nuts with cashew or pistachio nuts.
- Replace the Parmesan cheese with any well flavoured cheese.
- Use other fresh herbs. Try chervil, chives, coriander, dill, lovage, savory and tarragon.