It is important that deep frying fat is hot, otherwise the dough will absorb too much fat and become soggy. Take care with hot fat. Use a large pan with a small amount of oil and always have a close fitting lid available for the pan in case of fire, and never leave hot fat unattended.
8 oz / 225 g wholemeal flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 pint / 150 ml warm water
Deep frying oil
- Rub the oil into the flour.
- Mix in the warm water to form a dough.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 20 balls.
- Roll out each ball on a lightly floured board until no more than 2 inches / 5 cm diameter.
- Heat the deep frying oil.
- Cook one puree at a time for 30 seconds each side - until they puff up and turn golden brown.
- Flavour the dough with cumin and sesame seeds.
- Stuff the purees with a small quantity of freshly cooked vegetables before frying.