For the pastry:
8 oz / 225 g plain flour
8 oz / 225 g wholemeal flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt to taste
4 fl oz / 125 ml warm water
For the filling:
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 oz / 25 g sesame seed
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
12 oz / 325 g potatoes cut into small cubes
1 large carrot, grated
6 oz / 175 g green peas
2 teaspoon garam masala
2 teaspoon molasses
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander leaves
oil for deep frying
salt to taste
- Mix all the pastry ingredients and knead to form a firm dough. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Fry the cumin, sesame and the onion in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Then add the chilli, salt and turmeric followed by the potatoes and mix well.
- Cook over a low heat for ten minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the peas and carrots and continue over a low heat until cooked.
- The lemon juice, garam masala and molasses should be mixed in well and cooked for a further 2 minutes before the chopped coriander is added.
- Allow the mixture to cool before filling the samosas.
- Divide the dough into 18 balls. Roll out each ball on a floured surface to about 6 inches / 15 cm diameter, then fold each in half.
- Put a tablespoonful of mixture in the middle of each and fold over again and seal firmly. It helps if you moisten the edges.
- Heat the frying oil in a large pan, use a fat thermometer to check the temperature is close to 350 F / 180 C.
- Fry the samosas until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot.