8 oz / 200 g wholemeal flour
4 oz / 100 g chopped dates
4 oz / 100 g chopped suet
1 egg (optional)
salt to taste
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- ( Beat in the egg )
- Add sufficient water for the ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Place the mixture in a 1 3/4 pint / 1 litre pudding bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a sheet of greaseproof paper and then with a clean cotton cloth. Tie securely round under the lip of the bowl with string.
- Lower the bowl into a steamer over boiling water and steam for 2 hours.
- Serve hot.
- Include sultanas, chopped apricots, chopped figs, stem ginger.
- Place two tablespoons of molasses in the pudding bowl before adding the soft dough.