A traditional middle eastern snack, usually deep fried in oil, and without the egg. This method ensures the chickpeas are properly cooked.
8 oz or 225g of dried chickpeas
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
fresh parsley or coriander, 2 heaped tablespoons when chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
salt to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- • Soak the chickpeas in plenty of water for24 hours before use, then rinse in fresh water.
- • Boil the chickpeas vigorously for 10 minutesand use a slotted spoon to remove any scum or foam from the water.
- • In fresh water, simmer the chickpeas forone hour, then drain.
- • In a food processor, grind the chickpeasand onion to a coarse puree.
- • Mix in all the remaining ingredients.
- • Spoon the mixture in walnut sized ballsonto an oiled baking tray and flatten slightly.
- • Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 6,400F, 200C for 15 to 20 minutes or golden brown.
- • Serve hot as a snack or starter.