2 fresh bay leaves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds (green or black)
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon ground mace
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (You can use cinnamon sticks but they are difficult to grind)
• Place the whole spices in a heavy bottom pan and dry roast over a moderate heat. Keep the spices moving all the time until they darken.
• Allow the spices to cool and then grind into a powder.
• Blend the freshly ground spices with the pre-ground spices.
• The curry powder is now ready to use- but don't add too much to a dish.
• You can vary the proportions of all the ingredients to suit your own tastes.
• Other ingredients you can add are:
1 teaspoon ajowan seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg