To serve four
4 oz / 100g well chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, crushed
8 oz / 225g flat mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper
1 pint / 600ml stock
¼ pint / 150ml milk
1 oz / 25g cornflour
- Cook the onions, mushrooms and garlic slowly in the oil for ten minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper and the stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and then liquidise.
- Bring back to the boil.
- Mix the cornflour with the cold milk before stirring into the soup.
- Stir the soup as it simmers for a further five minutes.
- Garnish with thinly sliced button mushrooms.