To serve four
1 lb / 450g chicken joint
1 oz / 25g lentil flour or gram flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 oz / 100g onion, chopped
4 oz / 100g carrot or parsnip, chopped
4 oz / 100g swede or turnip, chopped
8 oz / 225g mushroom
14 oz / 400g tinned tomato
2 cloves crushed garlic or to taste
1 oz / 25g lentils
1 tsp / 1g mixed herbs
½ pint / 300ml chicken stock or water
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Remove the skin from the chicken joints and roll the joints in lentil flour.
- Fry the joints gently in oil until browned on both sides and then place in a casserole.
- Chop and then fry the onion until translucent and then add to the casserole.
- Add the diced carrot, swede, parsnip and turnip as available together with the mushrooms, tinned tomato, crushed garlic, mixed herbs and lentils.
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and add just enough water or chicken stock to cover.
- Cook in a preheated oven, gas mark 5 375°F 190°C for half an hour to boil the casserole
- and then gas mark 2 300°F 150°C for one hour.
- or cook in a pressure cooker under 15lbs (high) pressure for 20 minutes.