Chinese cashew stir-fry Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
Ingredients: Chinese cashew stir-fry Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
10 oz / 275 g packet tofu
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, sliced
2 oz / 50 g carrots, thinly sliced
6 oz / 175 g mushrooms, sliced
4 medium tomatoes, skinned and sliced
1 small can pineapple pieces
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/4 pint chicken or vegetable stock
2 oz / 50 g chopped nuts (any kind)
2 oz / 50 g chopped dried apricots
salt and pepper to taste
3 oz / 75 g toasted cashew nuts
Instructions: Chinese cashew stir-fry Recipe: Low Fat, Low Sugar
- Drain the tofu and set aside.
- Fry onions and carrots in the oil in a large pan until the onions are soft. Stir in the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, including the pineapple and its juice, except for the tofu and cashews. Simmer gently until the mixture thickens.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and stir into the mixture. Cover and simmer until cooked through.
- Turn into a casserole dish and sprinkle with cashew nuts.
- Serve with fresh bean sprouts, raw or cooked in boiling water for 1 minute.
- Chicken can be added to this dish instead of tofu. Cut two large breasts into strips and fry with the onion.
- The soy sauce, peanut butter, cider vinegar and pineapple juice may need adjusting according to taste - it is best to add them gradually until liked.