To make 10 lb chutney
2 lb / 1Kg green tomatoes
3 pints / 2litre distilled vinegar ( extra strength)
2 lb / 1Kg large cooking apples
2 lb / 1Kg onions
3 cloves garlic
1 lb / 2Kg sultanas
22 oz / 1.5Kg sugar
1 oz / 25g salt
2 oz / 50g ground ginger
2 oz / 50g freshly ground mustard seed
1 tsp / 2g allspice
1 tsp / 2g ground cinnamon
- Core the apples and remove any brown skin from the onions.
- Chop the apples, onions, tomatoes, sultanas and garlic.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Place the jars in a slow (gas mark 1/2 250 F 120 C) oven to warm up.
- Ladle the chutney into the jars and fill to the top and cover straight away with plastic covers. These can be cut from thin high density polythene freezer bags.
- Secure the covers with rubber bands and make second covers over the top with aluminium foil.
- Store in a cool cupboard.
- Keep for at least 1 month before using.