To make one large loaf
1 ½teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
4 oz / 250 g white wheat flour
4 oz / 250 g strong wholemeal flour
4 oz / 250 g maize flour
4 oz / 250 g rice flour
1 table spoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
¾pint / 425 ml warm water
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, olive oil and salt in a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the water.
- Mix to a soft dough - add more water if required.
- Grease a baking tin, the dough should be almost soft enough to pour into the tin.
- Bake at Gas Mark 6, 400°F, 200°C for 25- 35 minutes. Turn out and cool on wire rack.
- Check that the loaf is cooked by using a skewer through the middle. The loaf is not cooked until the skewer comes out clean.
- Use millet flour in place of rice flour if you have a grain mill.
- Stand a bowl of water in the oven to give the steamy atmosphere needed for a good crust.
- Experiment by adding a range of herbs to the dough.