To make 1/2 pint / 280 ml of sauce
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 oz / 12 g butter
4 oz / 100 g mushrooms
1/2 pint / 280 ml wine
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1/4 pint brown sauce
- Fry the onions and the mushrooms in the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook until soft.
- Add the wine and simmer until the volume has been reduced by half.
- Stir in the ready prepared plain wine sauce and the tomato puree.
- Bring the sauce back to the boil and then remove from the heat.
- Whisk in any extra ingredients - see variations below.
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon or chopped basil.
- Add 2 cloves of crushed garlic.