Makes a 1 lb cake
1 oz / 25 g fresh yeast or 1 tablespoon dried yeast +1 teaspoon sugar
3 fluid oz / 75 ml warm water
8 oz / 200 g wholemeal flour
1 oz / 25 g butter, softened
1 tablespoon black treacle or molasses
1 oz / 25 g sultanas
1 oz / 25 g chopped glace cherries
1 oz / 25 g chopped dates
1 oz / 25 g peel
1 egg, beaten
grated rind of one lemon
- Crumble the fresh yeast into the liquid or mix in the dried yeast and sugar. Keep warm until the yeast is working well.
- Rub the butter and molasses into the flour.
- Mix in the dried fruit. Then add the beaten egg and lemon rind.
- Slowly, mix the flour into the liquid until a uniform soft dough is formed.
- Turn on to a floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape into two loaves and put into two greased 1lb loaf tins.
- Cover with a clean cloth and put into a warm place until double in size.
- Re-knead the dough and shape into an oblong 10 x 8 inches / 25 x 20 cm.
- Fold the dough in half, gently, and place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake at 375°F, 190°C, Gas Mark 5 for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- Chopped dried apricots and figs may be used in place of the fruit.
- Add one ground clove or a teaspoon of mixed spice to the flour.