8 large vine or cabbage leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 oz / 100 g long-grain brown rice
1 oz / 25 g sultanas
1 oz / 25 g dried apricots, chopped
3 oz / 75 g nuts, chopped (hazelnut, almond, brazil, walnut, pecan, cashew)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped basil, marjoram or oregano
salt & pepper to taste
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/4 pint / 150 ml water
- Drop the cabbage leaves in boiling water for 2 minutes, then set aside.
- Cook onion gently in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in rice, sultanas, apricots, nuts and herbs. Season and mix well.
- Spread each vine or cabbage leaf on a plate and place an equal portion of the mixture on each leaf. Roll up into parcels, tucking in the ends. Place in a large saucepan, joined sides down.
- Mix tomatoes and water and pour over the leaves.
- Simmer gently for at least an hour.
- Remove the parcels from the pan when cooked and place them on a dish to keep warm.
- If necessary, boil the remaining liquid to reduce it to a sauce.
- Pour tomato mixture over the leaves and serve.