2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
12 oz / 400 g courgettes, sliced
6 oz / 150 g carrots, sliced
6 oz / 150 g mixed nuts - cashew nuts halved, hazelnuts whole, brazil/walnuts in pieces.
2 oz / 50 g pine kernels
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1/2 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
4 large tomatoes, skinned and sliced
1/4 pint skimmed milk
4 oz / 100 g low-fat cheese, grated
- Fry the onions gently in the oil for 2 -3 minutes, then add the garlic, courgettes, carrots, herbs and seasoning. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add most of the nuts, retaining some for the topping. Chop these more finely.
- Put half the mixture into a pie dish and cover with the tomatoes. Add the rest of the mixture.
- Heat the milk and stir in half the cheese. Simmer for a few minutes, then pour over the mixture in the dish.
- Sprinkle with the chopped nuts and remaining cheese. Bake at Gas Mark 4, 180 C, 350 F, for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.