To make one large loaf
¾pint / 425 ml warm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
8 oz / 250 g white flour
8 oz / 250 g wholemeal flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, olive oil and salt in a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the water.
- Mix to a soft dough - add more water if required.
- Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic - about 10 minutes by hand or 2 minutes in a food mixer.
- Shape into a round loaf on a floured board and then place on a baking tray
- Bake at Gas Mark 6, 400°F, 200°C for 25- 35 minutes. Turn out and cool on wire rack.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds or poppy seeds over the top before baking.
- Stand a bowl of water in the oven to give the steamy atmosphere needed for a good crust.
- You can use all wholemeal flour but this will produce a heavier loaf.