Makes a pizza for four people
1 oz / 25 g fresh yeast or 1 tablespoon dried yeast +1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 pint / 150 ml warm milk
8 oz / 200g wholemeal flour
1/2 oz / 15g lard
salt to taste
- Crumble the fresh yeast into the liquid or mix in the dried yeast and sugar. Keep warm until the yeast is working well.
- Rub the lard into the flour.
- Slowly, mix the flour into the liquid until a uniform dough is formed.
- Knead for 1 minute into a stiff dough.
- Roll the dough out to form a 12 inch / 30 cm circle and place on a greased baking tray.
- Leave in a warm place for 30 minutes when it should have risen.
- Add the topping.
- Leave in a warm place for a further 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 7, 425F, 220C for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Curried fruit topping: grapes, sultanas, peach slices, onion, tomato, curry sauce to taste. All well chopped.