Makes one 1 lb cake
8 oz / 200 g wholemeal flour
salt to taste
2 teaspoon raising agent
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 oz / 25 g butter, softened
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large cooking apple
5 oz / 150 g sultanas
1 tablespoon black treacle or molasses
1/4 pint / 150 ml water
- Mix the flour, raising agent, ginger and spices thoroughly.
- Rub in the butter and oil.
- Peel and grate the apple coarsely. Add the fruit and the molasses, mix again.
- Mix with a little water to a soft but not sticky dough. Do not use all the water if it is not needed!
- Roll out to about an 8 inch / 25 cm round. Place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake at 400°F, 200°C, Gas Mark 6 for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- Chopped dates or chopped dried apricots may be used in place of the fruit.
- Honey may be used in place of the treacle.