Makes two 1 lb loaves
1/2 oz / 12 g fresh yeast or 1/2 tablespoon dried yeast +1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 pint / 150 ml warm water
12 oz / 300g strong plain white flour
12 oz / 300g wholemeal flour
4 fl oz / 100 ml olive oil
salt to taste
4 oz / 100g cooked and mashed potato
4 oz / 100 g cooked and mashed carrot
- Crumble the fresh yeast into the liquid or mix in the dried yeast and sugar. Keep warm until the yeast is working well.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together. Then mix in the oil.
- Mix in the cooked potato and carrot.
- Add the liquid to the flour until a uniform dough is formed.
- Knead for 10 to 15 minutes into a stiff smooth dough.
- Cover with an oiled polythene sheet and leave in a warm place for one to two hours when it should double in bulk.
- Knead again for a minute and then place in two greased tins.
- Cover the dough with an oiled polythene sheet and keep warm until the dough has risen again.
- Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 5, 375F, 190C for 60 minutes or until done ( check with a skewer ).
- Turn out of the tins and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve hot.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon or mixed spice to the flour.
Send your comment to the author