Makes 20 corn crisps
8 oz / 200 g cornmeal
1/2 pint / 280 ml boiling water
salt to taste
2 tablespoon oil
- Mix the cornmeal and salt.
- The water should be on the boil as it is stirred in to make a thick batter.
- If it is too solid add more boiling water. Stand for five minutes and then stir in the oil.
- Place spoonfuls of the batter on a well greased baking tray and spread out into 3 inch / 8 cm rounds.
- Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 6, 400F, 200C, for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
- Corn pones are thicker. Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter for each pone onto the baking tray and don't spread them out. They should be brown round the edges when cooked.