The main guidelines are:
- Follow a healthy balanced diet, very similar to that recommended for everybody else.
- Base meals on starchy foods such as wholemeal bread, potatoes, whole cereals, wholemeal pasta and brown rice.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Don't add sugar, but it doesn't have to be sugar free.
- Keep fat within reason, but remember that some fat is essential for health.
- Keep the amount of salt down. This is particularly important if you have high blood pressure.
- Don't overeat! Keep to reasonable size portions and don't snack between meals.
- Get plenty of exercise.